Monday, August 18, 2008

Spider Bite...

Email conversation:

A: What are the symptoms to a brown recluse spider bite? And what does the bite site look like? The sooner the info the better.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

R: what!   ummm... look for bite marks.  it'll look like a big swollen mosquito bite.  And go to the hospital.

A: Its not big and swollen. And I need to know symptoms to see if it is a bite. And I'm fine exept my leg hurts. What are the symptoms.

R: 

What are the symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite?

Venom from the brown recluse spider usually causes local tissue damage. The following are the most common symptoms of a bite from a brown recluse spider bite. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

  • burning, pain, itching, or redness at the site which is usually delayed and may develop within several hours or days of the bite
  • a deep blue or purple area around the bite, surrounded by a whitish ring and large red outer ring similar to a "bulls eye"
  • an ulcer or blister that turns black
  • headache, body aches
  • rash
  • fever
  • nausea or vomiting

These symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.

Treatment for a brown recluse spider bite:

Specific treatment for a brown recluse spider bite will be determined by your physician. Treatment may include:

  • Wash the area well with soap and water.
  • Apply a cold or ice pack wrapped in a cloth, or a cold, wet washcloth to the site.
  • To protect against infection, particularly in children, apply an antibiotic lotion or cream.
  • Give acetaminophen for pain.
  • Elevate the site if the bite occurred on an arm or leg (to help prevent swelling).
  • Seek immediate emergency care for further treatment. Depending on the severity of the bite, treatment can range from administering corticosteroids and other medications to surgery of the ulcerated area. Hospitalization may be needed.
  • Prompt treatment is essential to avoid more serious complications, especially in children.


A: See it doesn't look like a bite. It itchef petty bad yesterday and was irritated by my jeans rubbing against it. But I had weird random small bites from Chicago almost like bed bugs. And now my leg hurts like the bone like my strong femur. However my knee felt jacked after soccer and my ankle same leg got hit bad at warped tour. Now my thigh hurts

R: That doesn't look like a spider bite.... looks like a scrape.  Or VD.

A: Ha ha I know! But it itched! I don't know what's srong with my leg. It hurts!!

R: Ice it.  Take some benedryl.  Put some ointment on it (isn't that such a weird word... say it out loud with me "oint-ment")

A: Oint ment. Yeah I see what you're saying. Ok I'll take some pills.

R: Oiiiinnnttt  Meeeennnt.


No comments: